Proposal for an extended callbacks field

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Thu Jul 26 19:52:02 EDT 2007

Eric Richie wrote:

<snip>

> This is why I log everything...

<snip>

> -Eric Richie

I've been trying to follow this thread and find a place to respond, but
yeah, I've lost my patience and concentration :)

Anyways, I see this as a chicken and egg problem.  If we were
gobjectified at this point (hey, i'm not pointing fingers since i'd be
pointing at myself), we could just create some interfaces for all of
this.  Thus we could have something like a ProtocolPluginRegistration
interface that could have register and unregister.  Admittedly, this
would be less optimal then properly adding them to the ProtocolPlugin
interface (something I have in the works in my local db or working copy,
or had somewhere).  But it would at least not require a major version
bump.  It'd be a minor, and we could open a ticket or what have you for
the next major to clean this up.

Also, shoot me for mentioning this if it upsets you (and yes it's
hacky), but there is absolutely NOTHING stopping anyone from declaring
another static struct, and placing a pointer to it in the protocol data
on the connection.  Of course that probably isn't optimal, but is
another course.

Anyways, these were just some random thoughts I had while reading this.

--
Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>