Can I join in the Pidgin development project?

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:06:22 EDT 2007

On 7/25/07, Mark Doliner <thekingant at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Depending on your skill set there are various tasks you can do.  Arguably the
> most beneficial thing for you to do is to look through the bugs at
> http://developer.pidgin.im/query , find one that interests you and write a
> patch to fix it.

I'll take you up on that 'arguably'!

As I write in my amazing book, Open Source Messaging Application
Development: Building and Extending Gaim, bugs are boring to fix,
often require in-depth knowledge of how different components of the
code base interact, and typically aren't very rewarding once fixed.
These things can add up to frustrate a new contributor.

Instead, I recommend adding a new feature, something you would
personally benefit from. A feature would typically be well-contained,
requiring you to understand only one aspect of the project, and you'd
personally benefit more from doing it.

You can still use http://developer.pidgin.im/query to find features
that have been requested. Filter for 'enhancements,' but be aware that
the default category is "defect," and some enhancements have not been
recatagorized yet.

-s.