ICQ away messages

Knut Lorenzen lo.knut at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 28 11:35:42 EDT 2007

Hello,

I noticed that Pidgin and Adium both have difficulties displaying
status messages from ICQ 5 clients (some characteres don't display
correctly), and ICQ 5 doesn't display Adium/Pidgin status messages at
all. This problem persists for a while now, while other open source
IMs like Miranda and Kopete seem to have solved that problem.

I did some research with wireshark and found out that all clients
except Adium/Pidgin use a new method to retrieve away messages. This
method is not supported by libpurple, so ICQ 5 doesn't display the
away message.

Using the old method to retrieve an away message from an ICQ 5 user
still workds, but non-ascii characters are sent in some unknown
encoding. This should also be fixed by implementing that new method.

Here's a list of tickets, I think they should be merged:
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/582
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/931
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/1277
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/2132
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/2229
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/2286

Just let me know in what way I can help you out, I'd like to finally
have my buddys read my away message ;)

best regards,

Knut Lorenzen