Account editor

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 14:10:47 EDT 2007

On 7/28/07, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
> What?  It's a freaking computer program.  Parsing the server name and resource
> from a string isn't that hard.

Amen! It's definitely easier for a computer program to do basic
parsing than it is to expect everyone to care about the three
components that make up their JID

> You could pre-fill it with "example at gmail.com."  Or even better, don't
> pre-fill it with anything and then append gmail.com if the user didn't enter a
> server name.

That's perfect. Adium does that with its Google Talk protocol configuration.

> On a related note, Sean, how does the Google Talk client know whether to use
> gmail.com or googlemail.com?  I can enter the user portion of my
> googlemail.com account into Google Talk and it is somehow able to log in.

If you try logging in with googlemail.com or gmail.com and that's the
wrong domain, the server will correct you when it gives you back the
bind result.

-s.