SPAM

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Sat Jul 28 17:39:12 EDT 2007

Mark Doliner spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I'm still strongly in favor of requiring people to be subscribed to the list
> to post to it.  I'll gladly inconvenience five people a month if it means
> stopping 20 pieces of spam being broadcast to all 536 people on this mailing
> list every month.

Since we implemented spam filtering in early May, there have been
exactly four pieces of spam which got through the filtering, and they
were all within a single 24-hour period.  I have fed those four emails
through the classification system, so they (and similar mails) should
be marked as spam in the future.  Quite possibly, had I not been in
the middle of a move and without internet access, I could have
reclassified the first one or two and prevented the others from
leaking altogether.

I don't know about you guys, but four spams in 2 1/2 or more months
doesn't seem bad to me.  In comparison, I get 500+ emails per month
under normal circumstances.  (Possibly more now, spam is on an
exponential curve; my mailserver is down for hardware replacement, or
I'd check.)

I think the benefits outweigh the costs, here.  I would be happy to
provide a free spamprobe license for anyone who is bothered by four
spams.  :-P

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.