Porting finch to uClinux

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 14:30:09 EDT 2007

On 6/8/07, Bill Fassler <bill.fassler at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Since I have stripped down embedded versions of QT and ncurses already I
> thought porting finch would be relatively easy (and I still believe that).
> However even after passing the configure argument of --disable-gtkui which
> according to your documentation should only build finch (and hopefully avoid
> gnome and other possibly problematic libraries), but it looks like the build
> still compiles gnome and xml related files (console captures attached) and I
> don't understand why a text based IM using ncurses would be doing this.

You forgot to attach the logs, but I suspect you're seeing Glib and
libxml2 which, despite being related to the GNOME project are
certainly not "GNOME libraries." They're used by libpurple; they're
entirely UI-agnostic.

Pidgin does not use any GNOME libraries: only libraries maintained by GNOME.

> Anyway, I think the basic problem is your configure doesn't seem to allow me
> to point to custom $INCLUDEDIR areas or additional include areas (at least
> not as far as I could see easily).

> So can anyone enlighten me as to why it looks like my make is still trying
> to build pidgin related crap

At first I was a bit insulted by "Pidgin related crap," but then I
realized it may be a pun.

Anyway, let me know if it's actually recursing into the pidgin/
directory. I suspect you're just seeing that libpurple wants glib and
flipping out. It's very possible our autotools is hosed, in which case
patches are always accepted :)