much further along, but.....

Bill Fassler bill.fassler at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 09:17:05 EDT 2007

Although I don't understand the error I was getting I got past it with the simple (most likely inappropriate) hack of just creating a soft link for iconv.h in the top level in pidgin and pointing to /usr/include/iconv.h.  I seem to have gotten close to an executable, but no cigar.

I thought I passed in configure arguments such that I would be building a static binary, but apparently things are working that way.  Finch still appears to building dynamically linked libraries which is certainly not the way I want to go for my first pass at this...Did I misunderstand? Doesn't --enable-static=yes do the trick or do I really have to pass each and every protocol seperately and if I do that will the entire binary be static?

Here is where I'm failing now: (I thought finch didn't use gnome libraries...)

Making all in .
make[4]: Entering directory `/home/project/elf_flat/uClinux-dist/pidgin-2.0.0/libpurple'
/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --tag=CC --mode=link bfin-uclinux-gcc -Wl,-elf2flt  -g -g -O2   -o purple-client-example  purple-client-example.o libpurple-client.la -Wl,--export-dynamic -pthread -L/opt/gnome/lib -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -ldl -lgthread-2.0 -lglib-2.0   -L/opt/gnome/lib -ldbus-glib-1 -ldbus-1 -lglib-2.0   -lnsl -lresolv
/opt/gnome/lib/libgobject-2.0.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [purple-client-example] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory