I HATE the lack of protocol icons

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Tue Jun 12 00:19:03 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 00:10 -0400, Scott wrote:
> While I'm at work I like to make sure we use our internal Jabber
> server, to stay away from using the proxy out onto the internet for
> private internal work issues.  Sometimes they may not be logged onto
> the internal server for whatever reason, and for me to know that I am
> not sending private data out onto the internet eases me from
> highlighting the contact to find out which account that it is that I'm
> sending to.
>
> I guess I could re-alias all of my contacts to specify the protocols
> in which the alias implies.  But isn't that what an icon is... a
> picture is worth 1k words?

And what about buddies that use another XMPP server (either on the same
XMPP account or another one)? Your data still crosses the Internet, but
they'd have an XMPP icon that's "secure". We've been over this before.
This is an example of something Ethan covered in this very thread.

Plus this is an example of why you might want this information in the
conversation window, not the buddy list, which Etan has covered a
million point five zero three two times.

Richard