Help Menu Slashing

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Tue Jun 12 10:27:39 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 08:53 -0500, Richard Laager wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 21:45 -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> > Even before removing Help, many developers were in favor of moving
> > Debug Window to Tools.
>
> I don't really care about this one way or another.

For some reason I would prefer to keep the Debug Window under Help.
Tools is something users should be using frequently, we shouldn't
clutter it with things they will hopefully never need. Or something. I
don't really care much about this.

> > > We also lost the online help option, which seems like a big loss to me.
> >
> > What crack are you smoking? Exactly what part of
> > http://pidgin.im/documentation.php/ do you think is useful to someone
> > looking in the Help menu? In fact,
> >  http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2142654,00.asp
> > specifically criticizes that menu option as being largely useless.
> > Even Luke agrees.
>
> Then let's fix that page to be more useful, or point the link to the FAQ
> or whatever. I think having some way to view Help information from the
> application is useful. Just because the current link is bad doesn't mean
> the menu and the item are bad.

Fixed. It now redirects to "Using Pidgin" in the wiki.

> > All this said, I'm definitely willing to come around on this issue
> > somehow. What would you propose doing?
>
> I propose leavings things as they were

+1

Regards,