pidgin plugins for corporate compliance

Daniel Atallah daniel.atallah at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 21:06:01 EDT 2007

On 6/14/07, Roy Rim <roy.develpidgin at xemaps.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> This might be more appropriate to a glib mailing list but since this
> will eventually become a plugin...

Yes, you are probably better off there as it isn't really a pidgin issue and
you're more likely to get a better answer.

I decided to give nn-blocking IO a whirl using winsocks and am
> reduced a to a weak puddle of ignorance and ineptitude.  Basically in
> a simple gtk app I've been trying to do this:
> <snip/>
> 6. Call g_io_add_watch for G_IO_IN and another one for G_IO_OUT

This is probably the problem -  you can't add more than one watch on a
IOChannel on windows due to the limitations of Windows' socket
implementation.
<snip/>

I also noticed that libpurple has a bunch of functions in giowin32.c
> that were made for reading and writing to a socket.  Should I be using
> those functions instead of the glib ones?  Does anyone have a simple
> sample that they could point me to?

That is essentially a copy of the iochannel implementation in Glib 2.6.6.
The reason it is there is that the win32 iochannel implementation changed in
Glib 2.8.0 and I wasn't able to figure out a way to get pidgin working with
it (there are some related reports in the gnome bugzilla).

You shouldn't have to use the libpurple copy of GIOChannel for a simple
task, I suspect once you modify your code not to use several watches, it'll
work.

-D