pidgin plugins for corporate compliance

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Jun 7 12:16:18 EDT 2007

Roy Rim spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I was wondering if there was a way to enforce a plugin to be enabled?
> I realize that this kind of goes against the definition of a "plugin"
> but it seems the simplest way to enable this option without me mucking
> about in the nuts and bolts of Pidgin.  Perhaps in the future there
> might be a way to include corporate policies via a protected shared
> preferences file?  This way an administrator could set certain
> preferences that override users preferences?

You could solve your problem with minimal invasiveness to the existing
Pidgin code by writing your extensions *as if* they were a plugin
(that is, perform your actions by connecting to signals, etc., with a
single setup function that ties everything together), and then compile
this code directly into Pidgin and invoke your setup function from
main() or some other appropriate point.  This would require changing
existing Pidgin code only to add a single function invocation, and
would require minimal changes to the linking process.  It would
require no plugin trickery to keep the code loaded, and no additional
preferences mechanism.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.