Moving Sound into Core

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Sat Jun 16 20:26:09 EDT 2007

Eric Polino spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I have been brewing over what to do about duplicating code.  As Ethan
> pointed out, another layer of abstraction is pointless and/or not needed.
> Some have suggested to move sound into the core so that UI's that want sound
> can hook into it, and those that don't can just ignore it.  I'm not sure
> exactly how this would work as I am new to a lot of this, but it seems to
> make sense to me at a superficial level.  I'm starting up this thread to get
> a feel for what people think about moving sound into the core.

My suggestion was to take the sound-playing backend which is shared
between finch and pidgin and move it into a separate file with an init
function (similar to a plugin) which can be linked and initialized by
any UI which wishes to use it.  (This may be only Pidgin and Finch.)

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.