UI suggestions

Casey Harkins caseyharkins at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 16:11:46 EDT 2007

jonathan wrote:
> I think an On-Screen-Display is a very important function for a program
> nowaday, especially for a chat client.
> Of course it's nice to have some extra plugin you can install to get
> this nice feature, but why don't you just integrate an OSD to the
> preference menu, of if you think too many people would be annoyed by
> this as a default plugin.

I think the problem is that users have different ideas of what kind of
OSD they want. The number of plugins available (pidgin-notify,
guifications and gaim-osd that I know of) are evidence of that.

With that said, I wouldn't have objections to a libnotify based OSD
being included directly in pidgin (using the equivalent on win32 for
winpidgin). Unfortunately, this would likely lead to requests for every
combination of notification under the sun and could result in preference
bloat. Though, exposing the API would allow plugins to easily add
additional notifications.

-casey