UI suggestions

jonathan jonathan.schluessler at gmx.de
Sun Jun 17 16:53:16 EDT 2007

Casey Harkins wrote:
> jonathan wrote:
>> I think an On-Screen-Display is a very important function for a
>> program nowaday, especially for a chat client.
>> Of course it's nice to have some extra plugin you can install to get
>> this nice feature, but why don't you just integrate an OSD to the
>> preference menu, of if you think too many people would be annoyed by
>> this as a default plugin.
>
> I think the problem is that users have different ideas of what kind of
> OSD they want. The number of plugins available (pidgin-notify,
> guifications and gaim-osd that I know of) are evidence of that.
>
> With that said, I wouldn't have objections to a libnotify based OSD
> being included directly in pidgin (using the equivalent on win32 for
> winpidgin). Unfortunately, this would likely lead to requests for every
> combination of notification under the sun and could result in preference
> bloat. Though, exposing the API would allow plugins to easily add
> additional notifications.
>
> -casey

So maybe it would be a nice idea to add a standard-OSD which looks very
"neutral" for the average user. If anyone wants to have a more
complicated or just a different OSD they could use a plugin.

Most people simply don't search for additional plugins, they just think
its a loss of functionality though it isnt.