UI suggestions

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Mon Jun 18 13:22:44 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 03:56:59AM -0500, Kevin M Stange wrote:
<snip>
> This sounds evil, but would it make any sense to turn on the rules hint
> if the treeview expands beyond a certain width (dynamically)?

I think turning this on only for wide windows (for some definition of
wide) makes some amount of sense at the cost of an inconsistent buddy list
display.

<snip>

> Kevin

For clarification, the rules_hint is exactly that a 'hint' it is up to the
theme how to draw the rows. It can choose to always draw them ruled, only
draw them ruled when the hint is set, or never draw them ruled.

So personally, I think I would advocate for bringing back the rules_hint
and telling people who don't like it to complain to their GTK+ theme
authors for an option for it. And/or asking the GTK+ people to be allowed
to set the rules_hint from a gtkrc file.

Note: I believe you can currently control the row colors from a gtkrc
file, just not the actual rules_hint itself.

	-Etan