Connection Timeout Retry

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue Jun 26 03:23:06 EDT 2007

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:08:43 +0100, McGowan, Stephen wrote
> I just wanted to check is there a way to get Pidgin to try to
> reconnect to a chat server after a it looses a connection? For
> instance if Pidgin is being used over wireless in an area with bad
> signal, can you get Pidgin to keep on retrying to connect untill it
> can reconnect again?

Did anyone ever respond to this?  Pidgin will attempt to reconnect to your IM
account until the end of time, but the more times it fails to connect the
longer it waits between attempts.  Eventually we'll detect whether your
network connection is active/inactive and smartly connect you, but that's a
work in (lackluster) progress.

If you're asking whether Pidgin will reconnect you to a chat room after you
get reconnected, no, I don't believe it will.  Someone in #pidgin was trying
to write a plugin to do that a few weeks ago (maybe it was you!).  This seems
like something we should do without requiring a plugin.

-Mark