Change Proxy in Pidgin

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Wed Jun 27 19:06:13 EDT 2007

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 00:13:40 +0200, Charlie Blank wrote
> Hi,
>
>  I am using my computer at work and at home; my company requires to have
> a HTTP-Proxy configured in the system.
>
>  Is there any way to integrate a plugin/menu in Pidgin that enables
> me to change the proxy by one single mouseclick:
>
> e.g. changing the proxy-settings to company proxy/no proxy for all of
> the Pidgin connections and initiate a reconnect?
>
> Or e.g. killing current pidgin - changing the value for the proxy in
> the config-file and starting pidgin again?
>
> What would be the best approach? Do I need to write a plugin (I do have
> scripting expertise - but no professional C/C++ expertise) ?
>
> Any contributors willing to work together with me on a solution?
>
> Thanks for your comments.

I don't believe such a plugin exists.  I wonder how Gnome handles this?  It
would be cool if Pidgin just autodetected whether you needed a proxy or not.
It seems like something similar to NetworkManager would be nice here...  I
find myself wishing Linux had a more universal "am I connected to a network?"
API.  Is there a way to do this in Windows?

You could do it as a plugin, but it would probably be pretty hard if you're
not familiar with C.

-Mark