Some suggestions on the infopane of conversation

Kevin M Stange kevin at simguy.net
Thu Jun 28 22:47:29 EDT 2007

Sean Egan wrote:
> On 6/28/07, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
>> I very much prefer having status icons in tabs.
>
> We managed for 5 years before Etan thought "hm, I wonder if that might
> be useful." And, now he's neutral on it.
>
> I'm really neutral on the issue, I swear. My thoughts right now are
> just that the tabs serve a purpose: to let you select and choose from
> a a number of conversations. It's purpose isn't (directly) to serve as
> a mini-buddy list, telling everyone your status. By keeping everything
> but the text off of the tab, it serves its purpose much better.

I agree that the purpose of the tabs is for selecting from a number of
conversations, however I use the status icon on the tab to determine
whether it is appropriate at any point to close a tab, so that I have
fewer of them, or if it is still reasonable to switch to it and expect
to have a conversation.

I don't usually keep a lot of tabs open, and if I get to more than 5 or
6, I generally close the ones I see that have become unnecessary due to
status changes.  The extra step of having to "go through" my tabs (by
switching to every one) regularly to close the ones that are no longer
useful is irritating to me.

Kevin