Question about tooltip and PurpleNotifyUserInfoEntry

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 17:32:00 EDT 2007

In http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/252 Hylke has (again) redesigned
the Buddy List tooltip. Everyone seems to like it
(tooltip-explained.png is the one you want to look at).

One of the differences that isn't readily possible at present is that,
instead of

Has you: Yes
Blocked: No

in the tooltip, Hylke has a single italicized line:

Has you, Blocked

I can think of two ways to do this:

If the value of the PurpleNotifyUserInfoEntry is 'Yes,' append it to
that line, append it to that line. If it's "No," ignore it. This is a
heuristic, and heuristics aren't great.

The other way is to add a new PurpleNotifyUserInfoEntryType (the
current ones are 'pair', 'break', and 'header') for items with only a
value. This is the better design, but has the downside of removing
tooltips from clients that don't update to use it. Or, for instance,
running Finch 2.0.0 against Finch 2.1.0.

Is that ok? I'm assuming it is, but I'd love to know what Evan thinks.

I probably won't do #252 for 2.1.0, but it should be easy to add a new
UserInfoEntry type before then to allow us to do it in 2.1.1

-s.