Some suggestions on the infopane of conversation

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Fri Jun 29 23:54:34 EDT 2007

Sean Egan wrote:
> On 6/29/07, Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com> wrote:
>> One word, inconsistency.
>
> All of Firefox, Galeon, gnome-terminal only show tabs once there are
> two. gedit always shows tabs.  Those are all the tabbed apps I have
> installed on the top of my head. Obviously, there's inconsistency,
> amongst applications, but no-tab seems to be more popular.

That's one of the very first preferences I change in
firefox/iceweasel/whatever.

>> In a few more words, I've grown accustomed to looking at the tab for who
>> I'm talking to (which is at the bottom), not the top of the window for
>> the title or the info pane.
>
> "I've grown accustomed..." is an argument that, by nature, prevents us
> from ever changing anything ever. I'm just enjoying experimenting, but
> I suppose as we get to be an ever-larger project, there are inevitably
> more and more people who don't want to bother with science experiments
> ;)

Indeed, but at least for those that have the tabs at the top, it's not
that much of a change to look at the info pane or the title.  That was
the point I was trying to make.  By disabling the tabs for one window,
we're only partially changing the behavior that those that use bottom
tabs have become accustomed to.  And in my opinion, a partial change is
worse than making it impossible for that use case to remain a use case.

--
Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>