Fwd: [Pidgin] #552: Description disappeared from field bottom of the contacts list

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Wed May 2 20:05:22 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 15:31 -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> On 5/2/07, Ka-Hing Cheung <khc at hxbc.us> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 16:36 -0400, Nathan Walp wrote:
> > > Can this be a plugin?  Honestly, the old behavior irritated me greatly.
> > >   I don't think it's a common occurance to change your type of status
> > > w/o changing the message.  You're not going to go from "Away/In a
> > > meeting" to "Available/In a meeting" or "Available/Anyone want to chat?"
> > > To "DND/Anyone want to chat?"  it just doesn't make sense.
> > I agree with nathan.
>
> If you were being bothered too much, Ka-Hing, and wanted to set your
> status to Do Not Disturb, would you no longer be "working at home"? If
> you went out for lunch, perhaps you would update your status message
> to reflect that, but there's a good chance you still want your
> coworkers knowing why you weren't there.

that doesn't really apply to me, because I am using a saved status,
_and_ different messages on different protocols ("WAH" on my work
account because everyone at work understands what it means, and "working
at home" on everything else). Couple with the fact that I usually switch
status using the tray icon, so clearing the message isn't just one
keystroke anymore.

Oh, and I also don't use anything other than available / away / offline.

What if we make it so that when you switch to / from available, your
status message is cleared, and for everything else keep the message? Is
that going to be too confusing for people?

-khc