AOL icon

Evan Schoenberg evands at pidgin.im
Thu May 3 00:45:00 EDT 2007

On May 3, 2007, at 12:28 AM, Sean Egan wrote:

> Back in the day, I remember this was an important distinction for some
> reason. I think maybe AOL people didn't have buddy lists? Or other
> things? I don't know.

AOL people's profiles can't be viewed.  Last I checked, they couldn't
do Direct IM or File Transfer with AIM folk (though they can with
each other, for whatever that's worth to them, bless their hearts).
Those last two bits, anyways, are covered by our capabilities
handling... we might want to actually display a message in the
profile space ("This buddy is using AOL, so no profile is available")
rather than depend on knowing that AOL emblem = profile will be
blank.  Can't think of any other relevant differences offhand.

-Evan