protocol icons

Etan S. C. Reisner deryni at unreliablesource.net
Thu May 3 01:42:25 EDT 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 01:15:10AM -0400, Luke Schierer wrote:
> I am not at all confident that it would be possible for a plugin to put
> porotocol icons back into the buddy list.  It would however be very easy
> to put them into the conversation tab.  There are some docs on plugins
> at http://developer.pidgin.im/doxygen/dev/html/pages.html and of course
> there are plugins in the source tarball in pidgin/plugins and
> libpurple/plugins.  You would be more interested in the pidgin/plugins,
> since you would be looking at UI plugins, those that have GTK code in
> them.
>
> luke

I likewise was under the impression that it wouldn't be easy for a plugin
to bring back the per-protocol status icons but something someone said in
#pidgin has got me thinking that it might be. A plugin that listens to
buddy-status-changed and found the correct buddynode should be able to
simply replace the icon in the gtkblist treeview with the status icon they
want I *think*. I haven't looked at the source to confirm whether we give
them access to enough of the buddy list for this but I think it might be
possible, the only other question would be whether the status icons in the
buddy list are freed by the buddy list code or not.

    -Etan