AOL icon

Kevin M Stange kevin at simguy.net
Thu May 3 02:39:30 EDT 2007

Mark Doliner wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2007 21:28:57 -0700, Sean Egan wrote
>> It's been pointed out that, while we don't show what protocol someone
>> is using, we retain AOL as an emblem, to show when a user is using
>> the AOL client (not the AIM client, but the AOL ISP thing).
>>
>> Back in the day, I remember this was an important distinction for
>> some reason. I think maybe AOL people didn't have buddy lists? Or other
>> things? I don't know.
>>
>> In any case, I'm guessing that the fact that someone's using the AOL
>> client is no longer relevant. Does someone with more familiar with
>> AOL know anything? Does Winaim still show if someone's on AOL?
>
> I don't think it's very important.  It's so rare that anyone these days is
> actually using the AOL client.

My determination has been actually, that this emblem is useless.  It
seems to appear for people who have AIM screen names that were related
to an AOL account, even if they're not anymore, not even if they're
using AOL itself.  I have several friends who are in college and NOT
using AOL at college, and they still have the icon next to their names.
 This should be axed on the grounds that it provides no useful
information. :)

Kevin