List of things I don't like about using Monotone

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu May 3 03:14:18 EDT 2007

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:38:41 -0400, Ethan Blanton wrote
> Mark Doliner spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > * Commit emails don't always include a diff, the subject line is useless
>
> These two are tools problems, not monotone problems, for which we are
> looking (for some definition of looking) for fixes.  I was unaware of
> the subject line problem (?), but it is probably trivially fixed if
> you tell us what you want.

Well it's not hard to improve upon an arbitrary hex string.  How about showing
the base dir of the files that changed?

So if you changed libpurple/protocols/oscar/libicq.c then the subject would
say, "Modified libpurple/protocols/oscar/libicq.c"

If you added a file to libpurple/protocols/oscar/ and changed another file in
the same directory then the subject would say,
"Changes in libpurple/protocols/oscar/" or "Changed 2 files in
libpurple/protocols/oscar/"

If you changed a file in the MSN prpl and another file in the xmpp prpl then
the subject would say,
"Changes in libpurple/protocols/" or "Changed 2 files underneath
libpurple/protocols/"

Prepending the branch at the beginning isn't a bad idea, either.

-Mark