Direction of Pidgin development

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Mon May 7 22:07:03 EDT 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 06:54:40PM -0400, Torrey McMahon wrote:
> Is there a definition of what a plugin is? (No, not the webster
> definition....) Is there a set of requirements around bundling of
> plugins or when a plugin can/should become core functionality? I think
> the thread is bouncing around a bit and getting that defined will help.

Luke hit the nail rather squarely on the head with his comments about what
does and does not make a plugin a plugin. The decisions are a bit fluid
and things can move back and forth. There was a push for a while to move
everything that could reasonably be a plugin into a plugin but that went
nowhere fast, there was a counter push to suck everything in that got a
little farther but not much. The tray icon used to be a plugin and only
after we realized that just about everyone turned that on first thing did
we consider bringing it into pidgin, also it made it a tad cleaner as a
side-effect.

We are always reconsidering the line, sometimes it moves sometimes it doesn't.

    -Etan