Gaim automagically uninstalled?

scott_sauyet scott at sauyet.com
Tue May 8 09:28:54 EDT 2007

I've had a few bizarre PC problems in the last few days, and the first sign
of them was when GAIM disappeared on me.  Completely.  My profile was still
there, but the program was gone.  Is there some magical uninstaller related
to the lawsuit?

 I installed Pidgin with no problems, and it seems to be running fine, but
there are two new issues that I can't see as related, but which started
then:  Windows Explorer has lost its menu bar.  (I know a registry hack to
restore it, but it hasn't stuck past a reboot yet.  The latest fix may have
done that too; we'll see.)  And I seem to be infected with something trying
to send SPAM from my machine.  I haven't been able yet to trace down what
process is doing that.

It is most likely coincidence, but just in case, does any of this ring a
bell with the Pidgin team?  Is there something that would have automatically
uninstalled GAIM?  Would it cause other bizarre issues like this?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer,

  -- Scott