patch for keyring

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Wed May 9 20:36:24 EDT 2007

On 5/9/07, Peter Lawler <pidgin-devel at bleeter.id.au> wrote:
> I've seen resistance previously to put gnome-keyring usage into the
> core. I believe the reason there's resistance, apart from the obvious
> one stated above, is that the 'better' solution is as casey states. One
> can then code a plugin that then has it's own crazy dependencies.

The resistance is against tying ourselves to one particular keyring
implementation, and not making it possible to use Pidgin in multiple
environments.

A good solution would be to have each keyring have its own password
setting, and then commit the "use mozilla-nss to encrypt passwords
with a master password" patch. Also have each keyring have an account
option for "changed password," which gets set anytime the user changes
the password in the accounts dialog. This way, if you change the
password with kwallet, gnome-keyring asks for your password next time
around.

Certainly, if done right, nobody objects to this feature.