Pidgin 2.0.0 RPMs

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Sat May 12 12:04:21 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 08:18 +1000, Peter Lawler wrote:
> Stu,
> I had a quick go at building the RPM on a mates' x86_64 FC6 machine last
> night, using the rpmdev tools, and got the following error/s:
> (then the big rpath warning.. then)
> ERROR 0001: file '/usr/bin/finch' contains a standard rpath '/usr/lib64'
> in [/usr/lib64]
> ERROR 0001: file '/usr/bin/pidgin' contains a standard rpath
> '/usr/lib64' in [/usr/lib64]
> ERROR 0001: file '/usr/lib64/finch/gntgf.so' contains a standard rpath
> '/usr/lib64' in [/usr/lib64]
> ERROR 0001: file '/usr/lib64/finch/s.so' contains a standard rpath
> '/usr/lib64' in [/usr/lib64]

This RPATH has ended up included in the binaries because Fedora/Red Hat
are sitting on a libtool patch which should really be (imho) upstreamed.
As our tarballs are generated on either Debian or Ubuntu, they do not
have the patched libtool, so they do not know that on Fedora/Red Hat
x86_64, /usr/lib64 is a system library path.

A brute force way to fix this in the RPMs, if we really desire this, is
to force autoreconf every time to pick up Fedora's patched libtool. I
don't particularly like that idea though.

Regards,

Stu.