Status reporting

Dale Worley dworley at pingtel.com
Mon May 14 11:28:16 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 09:41 -0500, Richard Laager wrote:
> Connection errors show up in the buddy list, where you can request an
> immediate reconnection. The automatic reconnection should Just Work,
> though. If you're having a real problem with something that isn't
> covered by this, we'd love to hear the use case.

What I don't see is any mechanism for positive confirmation that an
account *has* connected.

In regard to automatic reconnection, I would expect that reconnection
attempts aren't done particularly frequently to avoid excessive load.
But if you're debugging the problem, and you have just tweaked the
server or just started a protocol sniffer, it's Really Pleasant to be
able to force a new connection attempt, rather than waiting for an
automatic reconnection timer of unknown length to time out.

(We've seen this quite a bit with SIP phones -- The ones that do not
have a way to force re-registrations are a lot less easy to set up and
debug.)

Automatic mechanisms are great 99% of the time.  But there are times you
need to lift the hood and see what is really going on, and to override
the automatic behavior.

Dale