Beginning to write a client

Greg Chagnon gcgaim at gmail.com
Thu May 17 16:28:18 EDT 2007

Hi All,
I'm new to this list and libpurple but wanted to ask a rather open ended
question.  I'd like to write a very basic command line IM client.  The only
functionality it would have to have is to connect to a server, send an IM,
and be able to receive an IM and verify its message against what was sent.
At a later date I'd add in conferencing and file transfer.  So I'm asking
for anything that could get me started on writing a client in C++.  I tend
to work best by seeing examples.

The reasons I'm doing this is, first, to test a part of a network appliance
in an automated fashion.  And second, I'm seeing a lot of "How do I get
started" messages being posted.  So I'd also like to document my experience
and the steps that I take to write this client so that others can benefit
from it.

Any and all information that you all could point me to would be *very*
helpful!

Thanks,