Beginning to write a client

Sadrul Habib Chowdhury imadil at gmail.com
Thu May 17 16:48:46 EDT 2007

* Greg Chagnon had this to say on [17 May 2007, 16:28:18 -0400]:
> Hi All,
> I'm new to this list and libpurple but wanted to ask a rather open ended
> question.  I'd like to write a very basic command line IM client.  The only
> functionality it would have to have is to connect to a server, send an IM,
> and be able to receive an IM and verify its message against what was sent.
> At a later date I'd add in conferencing and file transfer.  So I'm asking
> for anything that could get me started on writing a client in C++.  I tend
> to work best by seeing examples.

There is a nullclient in libpurple/example/ that allows you to create
and connect to one IM service of your choice and receive messages. It
was meant to be a really simple client, and adding the ability to send
messages would've made it rather complicated for a 'Hello world' client.
(http://developer.pidgin.im/viewmtn/revision/file/e39b5117f8df79ccfe2f383c3b0bbe8f33566991/libpurple/example/nullclient.c)

There are some development FAQs for client/plugin authors in
http://d.pidgin.im/wiki/Development%20FAQ, which you may find useful.
You should also look at http://d.pidgin.im/wiki/WhatIsLibpurple. We will
be glad to answer any farther questions you may have.

Sadrul