plugin conflicts

Stephen Eilert spedrosa at gmail.com
Mon May 21 17:06:09 EDT 2007

On 5/21/07, Etan Reisner <pidgin at unreliablesource.net> wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 01:42:15AM -0400, Neal Ylitalo wrote:
> > Unless the psychic plugin breaks Bot Sentry even when it's
> > disabled (very unlikely, although I haven't checked to see for
> > myself), I fail to see the logic in killing psychic when the user could
> > very well just disable it.
> >
> > Or am I mis-interpreting the use of the word "kill", and you gentlemen
> > just mean that the user should disable it?
> >
> > Neal
>
> I have a personal, well-known dislike of the psychic plugin, and would
> love nothing more than to see it die. I believe that the psychic plugin
> adds nothing of any real value and merely advocates and encourages
> juvenile behaviour (juvenile not in the pejorative sense but in the age
> sense).
>
> I always advocate disabling the plugin when it conflicts with anything
> else, which includes when it conflicted with the 'hide new messages'
> setting in pidgin, I am unsure if that is worked around at this point or
> not.

It is true that the Psychic plugin adds nothing of value. However, it
raises the interesting question of what to do when there is a conflict
between plugins. I don't think the answer will always be "kill one of
the offending plugins". It just so happens that it is convenient in
this case.

--Stephen

programmer, n:
        A red eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with
inanimate monsters.