win32 going away

Lee Roach phroggster at gmail.com
Mon May 21 18:23:43 EDT 2007

Christopher Stafford wrote:
> It seems like a strange time to consider this when GTK support in
> windows is getting quite solid. In fact I'd go as far as to say that I
> find the windows port to be every bit as good and usable an app as it is
> on linux. I'm sorry that various developers who don't use it on win32
> seem to believe it is deficient in some way.

I agree. From the early days of GTK on win32, things have gotten so much
better. My only complaint is that GTK needs to be less of a headache to
natively compile. Pidgin on win32 in comparison to *-pc-linux-gnu, is
every bit as stable in the right hands, with (IMHO) the only lacking
area being GTK's numerous trivial bugs.
> If there was a strongly adopted widget set on win32, like GTK on Gnome,
> or whatever the twirly things are on OS/X, then there would be reason to
> have a non-GTK native app, but in fact with the number of skinned
> applications and different toolkits in use, windows is starting to
> appear like a random mash of widget sets where Pidgin fits in just fine.

As one of the vocal win32 minority, I would love to see all the win32
cruft removed from Pidgin, and a native front end built from scratch for
us. A native UI would better be able to suit the needs of Windows users,
and would remove loads of next-to-useless tickets from Pidgin's trac. As
far as I'm aware, the majority of this list near-unanimously share my
opinion.

Has anyone started a project for a native libpurple UI?
> I don't know how the developers who are actually putting in the time to
> support windows feel about it but my impression is that the Pidgin (as
> opposed to Purple) windows dev isn't too painful to maintain (although
> it was probably no fun to set up in the first place).

Yeah, mad props to Herman Bloggs, who put in the legwork to get Gaim
built natively instead of those (horrid) Cygwin-X builds that lacked 1/2
the features of a decent Linux system. Daniel Atallah took over win32
maintenance a little ways down, and has done a great deal for us.

--Lee