Pidgin WinGTK+ "distro" (Was: Re: win32 going away)

Kevin M Stange kevin at simguy.net
Tue May 22 03:29:04 EDT 2007

Gabriel Schulhof wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 17:23 -0500, Lee Roach wrote:
>> I agree. From the early days of GTK on win32, things have gotten so much
>> better.
>
> Let's also not forget that Pidgin provides an (IMHO) much better GTK+
> distribution than any others I have seen (including Tor's). It even has
> a shell script that "does it all for you", including downloading the
> right stuff, putting it into the right places, and (in my experience)
> successfully building Pidgin out of the cygwin box.

I think you're thinking of my shell script which assembles a build
environment for Pidgin.  This is neither part of nor related to the GTK+
distribution at all, except by the fact that it downloads a few packages
for the GTK+ runtime in order to assemble the build environment.

The "distro" of GTK+ Pidgin releases is, as far as I remember from
Datallah's comments, a repackage of Tor's and not a rebuild, so it's
effectively the same, just better packaged.

Kevin