Time for a break...

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Tue May 22 14:25:06 EDT 2007

Colin Barrett spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On May 21, 2007, at 7:03 PM, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> >I firmly believe that we should *not* drop win32 support in libpurple,
> >nor should any patches for that compatability be out-of-tree.
> >[snip]
> > (Of course, it might bitrot going forward, and be
> >removed, but still...)
>
> You pointed out a pretty serious flaw in your own argument, Ethan.
> Dropping win32 support from Pidgin means there are no *current*
> clients using libpurple that run on win32. I don't see how you expect
> to maintain win32 support without a building, running consumer.

I guess you missed the part about a dedicated win32 client.  I don't
have a problem with the win32 support in libpurple rotting until such
a client exists, but I think we should make efforts to support that
client when the time comes; this follows directly from both of the
above statements.  I did not point out a flaw in my own argument, as
far as I can tell.

> Abandoning users over a philosophical difference is frankly silly. Of
> course, my entire argument could be swept under the rug if someone
> stepped up to implement a native win32 client. Perhaps it should be
> "he who shouts loudest," which would seem to be you, Ethan ;)

It's not philosophical differences, it's support cost and irritation.
(That was also laid out in this thread previously.)  Your proposed
solution would be reasonable, were I the one *asking* for a win32
client, but as it is, it is illogical.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.