Google Talk

Andreas Monitzer pidgin at monitzer.com
Tue May 22 19:23:55 EDT 2007

On May 23, 2007, at 01:11, Sean Egan wrote:

> Specifically, XMPP defines five presence states: available, away,
> extended away, do not distrub, and chatty. Pidgin allows you to set
> all of them yourself. XMPP does not offer the concept of 'idle,'
> although I think iChat has introduced one.

That's not true, there's one:
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0012.html

> Additionally, it should be possible to define an idle state that only
> gets set if you're connected to a Google Talk server. This would make
> Google Talk users go 'idle' as other Google Talk users would expect.

That doesn't depend on the server, I got a few gmail-users on my non-
gmail roster, and a few non-gmail users on my gmail roster.

> I don't think it's possible to tell, at runtime, what statuses a
> protocol supports, but if it were possible, would it make sense to
> match Google Talk's? Further, if it's not possible at runtime, would
> it be too much to add a new prpl to enable it?

If you really want to do that, you have to check the target's server
or even better the target's client (using http://www.xmpp.org/
extensions/xep-0092.html) -- since it's possible to use any client
for connecting to gmail -- and send a directed presence to those.

andy