Google Talk

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Tue May 22 19:33:11 EDT 2007

On 5/22/07, Andreas Monitzer <pidgin at monitzer.com> wrote:
> > Specifically, XMPP defines five presence states: available, away,
> > extended away, do not distrub, and chatty. Pidgin allows you to set
> > all of them yourself. XMPP does not offer the concept of 'idle,'
> > although I think iChat has introduced one.
> That's not true, there's one:
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0012.html

That's not quite an idle presence, though. Surely we don't want to
poll everyone on the list every minute.

> > Additionally, it should be possible to define an idle state that only
> > gets set if you're connected to a Google Talk server. This would make
> > Google Talk users go 'idle' as other Google Talk users would expect.
> That doesn't depend on the server, I got a few gmail-users on my non-
> gmail roster, and a few non-gmail users on my gmail roster.

Sure, but if you go 'away' on idle for every XMPP server, then we're
just mirroring Google Talk's definition of the states, rather than
adding Google Talk compatibility. I'm not necessarily opposed to this
as I think Google Talk's mappings are resasonable.

> > I don't think it's possible to tell, at runtime, what statuses a
> > protocol supports, but if it were possible, would it make sense to
> > match Google Talk's? Further, if it's not possible at runtime, would
> > it be too much to add a new prpl to enable it?
> If you really want to do that, you have to check the target's server
> or even better the target's client (using http://www.xmpp.org/
> extensions/xep-0092.html) -- since it's possible to use any client
> for connecting to gmail -- and send a directed presence to those.

I intend to do it with XEP 115, which all Google clients support. I
don't think any Google client supports 92.

-s.