Google Talk

Peter Lawler pidgin-devel at bleeter.id.au
Tue May 22 20:23:42 EDT 2007

Sean Egan wrote:
> Richard has added Google Talk as a protocol option, and it doesn't
> look like anyone has removed it yet :)

My 2c,
This is a failure on Google's part to explain that GTalk uses XMPP and
that an XMPP capable client can connect. Theoretically, are we to
special case specific popular IRC networks that may vary slightly from
what our current account UI provides? Better still, hardcode said
popular networks into the dropdown? I'm using IRC here as an 'obvious'
example, whereas thought should be made to the future and  possibilities
of another XMPP corporate becoming well used. Do we special case them?

Personally, I don't think Pidgin should bend to meet lame corporate
marketing brands. It's almost like advocating a dumbing down of the UI.
I believe there's been previous discussion about throwing a link in the
add account UI part that'd point to the protocol's signin page. I'd go
as far as to say maybe what's required is some explanatory text, eg:

XMPP
Colloquially known as 'Jabber', this open protocol is used by
jabber.org, google talk ....

MSN
Closed source protocol created by Microsoft. Currently implemented in
Pidgin with version X.

IRC
Open source protocol with many servers, although some may vary from the
specification that may cause issues within Pidgin/Finch

etc. etc.

Pete.