Conversation window redesign

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Tue May 22 22:04:27 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 18:07 -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> On 5/22/07, Ka-Hing Cheung <khc at hxbc.us> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 17:09 -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> > > Additionally, this could serve as a useful drag-and-drop target, which
> > > would allow us to remove the tabs in one-conversation windows, which
> > > provides consistency with other popular tabbed applications.
> > I dislike that. I think the tab should always be there, otherwise when a
> > background IM comes in the widgets will move around.
>
> Oh no! How will we ever manage‽ ;)
>
> Having single-conversation windows not displaying a tab would make it
> consistent with similar applications. It's a change that's requested

There are 3 applications that I use that have tabs. Pidgin, Firefox and
gnome-terminal. Pidgin always show the tab, and I changed Firefox to
always show the tab. I don't use tabs with gnome-terminal because of
screen.

> often enough that it indicates there are plenty enough people who
> rarely have more than one conversation open enough that the tabs are
> nothing but a waste of space.

And plenty enough people who like it and never say anything... Like Stu
said, those people should just disable tabs.

> > How does the idea of a single "Insert" dropdown button sound?
>
> That could work. Although images are of so little use I can't see them
> having much purpose there.

There are 4 things that Pidgin can insert now, links, images, smileys
and files, with the last one being sort-of-an-insert. Even if we don't
count files, the combined usage of the previous 3 may warrant a toolbar
entry.

-khc