Conversation window redesign

Hylke Bons h.bons at student.rug.nl
Wed May 23 14:53:35 EDT 2007

(Oops, this was supposed to go to the list)

On Wed, 23 May 2007 01:57:31 -0500
 "Mark Doliner" <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2007 17:09:38 -0700, Sean Egan wrote
>> Hylke has made some suggestions, and a mockup that should fix all
>> these issues are at http://pidgin.im/~seanegan/convwindowmock.png I
>> don't think I hate it.

Too bad I was too late for the discussion.
Sean, I like your first mockup! I think the second uses too much icons
in a tiny space.

> I'm famous!  I like the icon at the top, I think it provides a more
> natural
> association between icon and screen name.  Because right now with the
> icon
> next to my text input box at the bottom of the window I'm like, "Whose
> icon is
> this?  Mine or theirs?"

I had that too, that's why i put it up.

I think showing the account name makes a nice addition, because it's the
only thing that's truely unique about a person (in combination with
protocol). Currently, when you got more than one buddy with the same
screenname/alias, you can't easily tell who is who in the conversation
window.

I like Steven's idea of Tomboy dropdown, maybe this can be done for the
smiley dialog too. It also gets rid of the bug that when you switch to a
different tab with a different protocol the smiley dialog stays the same
but the protocol handles different smileys.

I got rid of the "insert link" button, because i didn't see any
additional value than just typing the link (in MSN at least).

Of course these mockups are open for tweaking, the reason i did this is
because i wanted the buddy icon up and make the text toolbar smaller for
2.0.1.

Hylke