Fedora Core Pidgin missing SSL

Ren Fur renfur at hotmail.com
Sun May 27 22:03:58 EDT 2007

I used to be able to log onto Google Talk with gaim-1.5.0-15.fc5.i386, but
using gaim-2.0.0-0.beta6.fc5.i386 and now pidgin.repo, when I try to log
onto Google Talk I get:

"Server does not use any supported authentication method"

I submitted Gaim SourceForge bug report 1692563 but the issue wasn't
resolved. According to
http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=47934&topic=1191
this is because "Gaim was not compiled with SSL support". Other users have
had similar problems with Gaim
(http://shiflett.org/blog/2005/aug/google-talk) and one suggested solution
(http://shiflett.org/blog/2005/aug/google-talk#comment-22) is building Gaim
with gnutls enabled. I have gnutls-devel but when I try to compile Pidgin
the resulting binary either segfaults or is unresponsive. Will future Fedora
Core releases of Pidgin be built with SSL support?