Fwd: Re: Closed-source interoperability with the GPL

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Fri Nov 2 20:01:51 EDT 2007

Eion Robb spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I got in touch with the FSF about whether it was legal or not to have a
> Skype-API plugin for libpurple.  He's come back with what I had thought;
> that it's legal to do so.
>
> I've attached his email below.
>
> Does this end the disputes now? :)

I'm sorry; maybe you didn't understand that Sean has *already* talked
to *our* lawyers, who say that it is NOT legal.  You have been told
this on at least two separate occasions.

So, no -- the dispute was already ended, and it isn't legal.  Even if
you continue to believe it is legal, it is contrary to the wishes of
the development community.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.