php port, licenses

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Tue Nov 6 17:18:18 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 23:01 +0100, Anatoliy Belsky wrote:
> I'm trying to port the libpurple to php.

I don't think you mean port. I think you mean you want to write PHP
bindings for libpurple? I thought someone had tried that before... did
you check to see if such a thing already existed.

> Recently I've expirienced,
> that the GPL isn't compatible with php license. Is that true.

According to the FSF, it is. I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say how this
would apply to your project.

> If yes -
> I would like to ask the rightholders (the developers) for a special
> permission to port and link the libpurple with php.

The number of copyright holders is too large for this to be feasible.

Richard