php port, licenses

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Tue Nov 6 17:21:18 EST 2007

Anatoliy Belsky spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I'm trying to port the libpurple to php. Recently I've expirienced,
> that the GPL isn't compatible with php license. Is that true. If yes -
> I would like to ask the rightholders (the developers) for a special
> permission to port and link the libpurple with php. I think, the
> libpurple is nowadays the best im libriary. If the answer will be
> positive, I could use a lot of your help with coding.

I am not a lawyer.  I think you have to say that before you say
anything about licenses.

The PHP license contains a sort of "advertising clause" (not quite
like the BSD advertising clause), which restricts derivative works
from using its name (perhaps among other things).  According to the
PHP license FAQ, this does not cover projects which *use* PHP.[1]  You
will need to determine if it covers things which *link* PHP.  If it
does not, you can write a PHP plugin which links both Pidgin and PHP
with no problem.

Ethan

[1] http://www.php.net/license/

determined to commit crimes.