php port, licenses

Casey Harkins caseyharkins at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 21:48:19 EST 2007

Anatoliy Belsky wrote:
> Of course, I'm not a lawyer. Therefore I'm asking here. But I read about the
> similar situation with a php project, where the developers of the original
> lib gave the extra permission to link their lib with php (in spite of the GPL
> license).

As Richard indicated previously, getting permission here is not
possible, given the large number of contributors, many of whom may be
difficult or impossible to track down.

#include <std_im_not_a_lawyer_disclaimer.h>

I don't want to discourage you though. If it is possible legally to
create a GPL'ed php extension, then there shouldn't be any problem
creating a GPL'ed php extension which links with libpurple. A quick
check of google shows a few php extensions that are GPL'ed (ffmpeg-php,
phpclamavlib), so presuming they checked the legality (which might be
presuming a lot), I think you'd be OK so long as your extension is GPL'ed.

You might want to check with the PHP folks and see if they have an
opinion on creating GPL licensed PHP extensions.

-casey