php port, licenses

Anatoliy Belsky weltling at 0ext.net
Tue Nov 6 18:06:10 EST 2007

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 23:18, Richard Laager wrote:

> I don't think you mean port. I think you mean you want to write PHP
> bindings for libpurple? I thought someone had tried that before... did
> you check to see if such a thing already existed.

Yes, you right. It would be a php extension. I've not found any im binding for
php. Some pure php classes are existing (for example for icq), but they
can't bear any criticism.

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 23:21, Ethan Blanton wrote:

> I am not a lawyer.  I think you have to say that before you say
> anything about licenses.
> The PHP license contains a sort of "advertising clause" (not quite
> like the BSD advertising clause), which restricts derivative works
> from using its name (perhaps among other things).  According to the
> PHP license FAQ, this does not cover projects which *use* PHP.[1]  You
> will need to determine if it covers things which *link* PHP.  If it
> does not, you can write a PHP plugin which links both Pidgin and PHP
> with no problem.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer. Therefore I'm asking here. But I read about the
similar situation with a php project, where the developers of the original
lib gave the extra permission to link their lib with php (in spite of the GPL
license).

So I would use the name "purple" for this ext, not somthing with php
anyway. And I don't think, that there are things, that link php, only php
things, that link libpurple. Hm .. so I'll work further, and the licenses
things will show them up

Thanks for your answers

Anatoliy