Video/audio support

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Nov 15 10:14:25 EST 2007

Carlos Eduardo Medaglia Dyonisio spake unto us the following wisdom:
> These rules sound good. I'm not really good with UI, so I'll probably work
> mostly on libpurple. Hopefully someone will be interested in working on
> pidgin. If not, the Adium people will be happy to have audio/video support
> on libpurple.

You will certainly have to keep UI in mind when developing the API, so
as to be sure of creating a UI which is naturally usable in a client.
Designing APIs in a vacuum tends to produce baroque APIs.  This is not
to say that you must write a UI, but that you should think about what
the UI is going to need to know to do its task, and make sure that
information is available, etc.

Look closely at Farsight, as we have long been planning to to base our
implementation on farsight, and it is successfully in use by other
FOSS messaging products.  I believe it does not currently have working
support for MSN (you mentioned aMSN earlier, I assume it is of
interest to you), but consider fixing this rather than reimplementing.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.