jabber xhtml-im images

Andreas Monitzer pidgin at monitzer.com
Fri Nov 16 04:53:02 EST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007, at 10:31, dojo dojo wrote:

> Pidgin can send and receive basic xhtml-im (on jabber), but it
> doesn't allow to either send nor recieve images.
> It could be used to mimic custom emoticons. Has this feature simply
> not been implemented, or are there technical limitations in
> libpurple or gtk?

The spec for sending images from an enduser IM client came out a few
days ago (http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/data-element.html) and
isn't fleshed out yet - it's not yet specified how to embed those
inline images into the XHTML message. You'd have to upload the image
to some web server beforehand, which isn't really that easy to do (for
endusers).

> While I could see that it would take some work to create a gui for
> posting images, wouldn't it be very trivial to at least allow
> incoming images to display?

That's a security issue, because you're automatically revealing your
IP to the message sender (via their HTTP server), I wouldn't recommend
that. Of course, displaying those inline images mentioned above would
not be a problem.

andy