im.pidgin.pidgin: 541a0e3980189093a325ec6d71224176b7f2ab5d

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 12:47:46 EST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 9:28 AM, Daniel Atallah <daniel.atallah at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not a fan of this.  It is disconcerting to me to have the window
> rearrange itself when I'm typing.

A full 8 hours before a complaint! Longer than I expected! ;) Pushing
at 2am Pacific probably helped that.

We've already been doing this in the conversation window for a while
now (but poorly). Our status box has been doing it longer.
More-or-less every IM client to come out since iChat does this. Plus I
have academic research [1] that says it's a good idea. :)

I think "window re-arranging itself" is as much hyperbole as the
"dancing widgets" were, but basically I did it this way because
forcing auto-resizing was much easier than allowing fixing
auto-resizing to co-exist with, and I got people to agree that the
pane was actually kinda annoying.

If there's a huge pushback (why was it again I haven't touched Pidgin
in a while ;) ?) I'll see about restoring the pane and trying to get
auto-resize to work properly with it.

[1] Gergle, D., Millen, D., Kraut, R.E., and Fussell, S.R. (2004).
Persistence Matters: Making the Most of Chat
      in Tightly-Coupled Work. In Proceedings of CHI 2004 (pp.
431-438). New York: ACM Press.